Insights

Ending the Strike with Autonomous Trains

Ending the Strike with Autonomous Trains

Train drivers are on strike in Melbourne today, arguing for more pay and the continuation of archaic work practices. The entire argument is moot, of course, because train drivers won’t exist within a decade. Autonomous trains are already operating in Australia in the mining sector, and introducing them to our public transport network is not only simple, it’s smart!

Automating a train is a very simple task. Unlike autonomous cars, trains travel in a defined straight line, at defined speeds, stopping only at stations or when there are obstacles on the track. Better still, autonomous trains don’t go on strike. They will also willingly travel the same track twice in a day (one of the arguments leading to todays’ strike)!

Train drivers are just one of the soon-to-be-victims of computer automation. Whilst the Taxi industry continues their campaign against Uber, they appear to be ignorant of the much larger tidal wave about to wipe their industry from the map. According to Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, “… the reason Uber [is] expensive is because you’re not just paying for the car — you’re paying for the other dude in the car. When there’s no other dude in the car, the cost of taking an Uber anywhere becomes cheaper than owning a vehicle”.

Uber is investing heavily in the development of autonomous vehicles because they’re not interested in the 5% of people who take taxis, they’re interested in the other 95% of people who own cars! Taxi industry … bye bye!

If you haven’t watched the video “Humans Need Not Apply”, you should. Whether you’re a doctor, lawyer, accountant, engineer or any other white-collar worker, your job will probably change, and possibly not exist, in the near future.

If you think the topic is interesting, make sure you join us at our next Executive Briefing.

Back to blog listing
Comments (0)
VISITS Pty Ltd © 2013 All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions